Wednesday 15 August 1962
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Breaking Up Is Hard To Do by Neil Sedaka.
In UK I Remember You by Frank Ifield was in the top 5 hits.
Kid Galahad, directed by Phil Karlson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1962.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1962!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1962 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Bubby Brister: NFL quarterback (NY Jets, Denver Broncos - Super Bowl 32).
- Igor Dorokhin: Hockey forward (Team Kazakhstan Olympics - 1998).
- Tom Colicchio: American chef and author.
- Rıdvan Dilmen: Turkish footballer and manager.
- Vilja Savisaar-Toomast: Estonian lawyer and politician.
- Lei Feng: Chinese revolutionary (Born 1940).
- Netherlands and Indonesia signs accord about New Guinea
- Shady Grove Baptist Church burned in Leesburg, Georgia, USA.
- James Joseph Dresnok defects to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea after running across the Korean DMZ. Dresnok still resides in the capital, Pyongyang.
- The New York Agreement is signed trading the West New Guinea colony to Indonesia.
- The Beatles drummer Pete Best is fired and replaced by Ringo Starr.
- Algeria joins the Arab League.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?