Wednesday 18 April 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK The Poor People Of Paris by Winifred Atwell was in the top 5 hits.
The Swan, directed by Charles Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 April 1956!
Which were the important events of 18 April 1956 ?
- Saint Galdino (d. 1176)
- Saint Perfecto (d. 850)
- Saint Agia (Aya) (d. 707)
- Saint Timon
- Saint Ursmarus (d. 713)
- Saint Werner (d. 1287)
- Blessed Idesbald van der Gracht (d. 1167), patron saint of fishermen and Flemish nobility
- Saint Eusebius (d. 526)
- Saint Apollonius (d. 185/6)
- Marie de l'Incarnation (1566 ? 1618)
- The Cheat's Cheatday on homestarrunner.com
- Zimbabwe ? Independence Day.
- Saint Emma
- Iran - Army Day
- John James in Minneapolis: Minnesota, USA; actor (Jeff Colby - Dynasty).
- Melody Thomas Scott in Los Angeles: California, USA; actress (Nikki - The Young and the Restless).
- Eric Roberts in Biloxi: Mississippi, USA; actor (Pope of Greenwich Village, King of Gypsies).
- Anna Kathryn Holbrook: American actress.
- David Wayne Edwards in Neosho: Missouri, USA; PGA golfer (1980 Walt Disney).
- Poonam Dhillon: Indian actress
- Jean-Pierre Mouligné: French sailor, known as J.P., who won the Around Alone (1998-99), a yacht race around the world for solo sailors. He sailed to victory aboard Cray Valley, his red 50-foot yacht, on 13 May 1999 after a 27,000 mile adventure of 132 days, 5 hours, 3 minutes and 9 seconds.
- Ted Reinstein: American TV personality, best-known for his New England TV program "Chronicle" where he presents slightly off-beat features such as reviews of places to go, things to do and food for those adventurers who want something a little different.
- Melody Thomas: American actress of TV, commercials and movies from the age of seven. She studied and enjoys classical piano. Thomas played the role of Nikki Newman in the TV series "Young and the Restless" for 21 years.
- Melody Scott: TV Actress
- Eric Roberts: Movie Actor
- Grace Kelly marries Prince Rainier III of Monaco (civil ceremony)
- Egypt and Israel agree to a cease fire.
- Maria Desylla-Kapodistria is elected mayor of Corfu and becomes the first female mayor in Greece.
- British diver Lionel Crabb dives into Portsmouth harbour to investigate a visiting Soviet cruiser and vanishes.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1956 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?