Sunday 19 September 1948
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Johnny Belinda, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 September 1948!
Which were the important events of 19 September 1948 ?
- Heine Westenfluss's birthday, from Gundam SEED DESTINY.
- Hermione Granger's birthday, from J.K. Rowling's series Harry Potter.
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Saint Kitts and Nevis - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1983)
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day (traditional - beginning in 2003, the holiday is held on the third Monday of September.)
- Chile - Armed Forces Day
- Church of England - Theodore of Tarsus
- Also see September 19 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Januarius
- In ancient Greece, the sixth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the procession to Eleusis began at the Kerameikos in Athens.
- Mykhaylo Fomenko: Ukrainian footballer and manager.
- Jan Hoag: American actress.
- Mihai Timofti: Moldovan director, actor and musician.
- Jim Ard: American athlete, played pro basketball for eight seasons beginning in 1970.
- Michael Cooper: San Francisco, California -- Sodomizer (FBI Most Wanted List).
- Nadezhda Tkachenko: USSR -- Pentathlete (1980 Olympics - Gold Medalist)
- Jeremy Irons: British actor of stage and screen. One of the most interesting performers to emerge over the last few years, Irons appears to be forever doomed to play the stiff-upper lip Englishman. He first came to notice in the TV adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited" and starred opposite of Meryl Streep in the Hollywood film, "The French Lieutenant's Woman" both in 1981.
- 62nd US Womens Tennis: M Osborne duPont beats A L Brough (46 64 15-13)
- 68th US Mens Tennis: Pancho Gonzales beats E Sturgess (62 63 14-12)
- Richard A Gonzales wins US Tennis Open
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?