Thursday 20 January 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 20 January 2011 ?
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Aquarius.
- Saint Fabian
- Epiphanius of Pavia
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Sebastian
- Presidential Inauguration Day in the United States.
- The Eve of St. Agnes.
- Harrison Dearsley: British child, the youngest of three children of the same parents, all born at the same time of day, 7:43 AM.
- At least 50 people are killed and more than 150 others are injured in two bomb attacks near Karbala. (''Times of India'')
- The Israeli military shoots dead an armed man who attacked a checkpoint near Mevo Dotan in the West Bank. (Ynet)
- Somali pirates seize a Mongolian bulk carrier off the coast of Oman. (Reuters)
- Muslim separatists in southern Thailand kill four soldiers in an attack on an army base. (Thai News Agency)
- Two bomb blasts occur simultaneously in Makiyivka, Ukraine. No injuries are reported and the responsible group threatens more bombings unless they are paid off. (''The Sofia Echo'')
- Iraq Inquiry documents show former British prime minister Tony Blair was offered an alternative to attacking Iraq during a secret meeting held eight days before its soldiers invaded the country in 2003. (''The Guardian'')
- Prejudice against Muslims is declared socially acceptable and Britain is becoming less tolerant according to Sayeeda Warsi, Baroness Warsi, the first female British Muslim cabinet member, in a speech at the University of Leicester. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Palme d'Or winner ''Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives'' is denied a nomination at the Academy Awards in the foreign language film category. (BBC)
- Three works of art stolen from a museum 15 years ago are retrieved. (BBC)
- Save the Children launches a £1 million appeal to help assist up to 400,000 children it expects are affected by a food crisis following Sri Lanka's worst floods in recent history. (''The Guardian'')
- South Korea accepts North Korea's proposal of high-level military talks to discuss ampquotpending issuesampquot. (Reuters)
- The Vatican is said to be ampquottroubledampquot by the latest sex scandal engulfing Italy's prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, alleging that Berlusconi purchased an under-age prostitute. (BBC)
- President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai, accompanied by ministers and business leaders, arrives in Russia. (Al Jazeera)
- Chinese president Hu Jintao receives a hostile reception from the United States Congress the country is accused of bullying its neighbours and its rulers are described as ampquotNazisampquot. (''The Guardian'')
- The largest rocket ever launched from the west coast of the U.S. is launched carrying a secret payload speculated to be a spy satellite. (Reuters)
- Customs officials in Hong Kong seize a haul of cocaine worth US$33.4m bound for China, originating from Bolivia. (RTHK)
- Haiti's former president Jean-Claude ampquotBaby Docampquot Duvalier, now facing charges of corruption and theft of funds, hopes to becomes president again, according to his lawyer. (Al Jazeera)
- A 32-year-old man is arrested on suspicion of murdering Bristol woman Joanna Yeates. (Sky News)
- One of the largest hauls of illegal chimpanzee and gorilla parts is seized by officials in Gabon. (Afrol News)
- Agents of the United States charge 127 alleged mafia members in the northeast of the country. (AP via ''The Guardian'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?