Saturday 22 January 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching None Piece.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Aiyoku no Eustia or Cart Life.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 22 January 2011 ?
- New Zealand - Wellington Anniversary.
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. Vincent.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 22 January
- Malaysian navy commandos foil a ship hijack attempt by Somali pirates, rescuing 23 crew and capturing 7 pirates in the Gulf of Aden. (BBC)
- One person is killed and two others are injured in alleged Israeli tank shelling in the Gaza Strip, though the Israel Defense Forces denied they attacked and estimated that the blast was a failed rocket launch. (Ynet)
- Several people are injured and others are arrested as police break up a pro-democracy march in Algiers. (Al Jazeera)
- Mexico says 10 suspected drug gang members were killed in shootout with soldiers in Valle Hermoso, Tamaulipas. (AP)
- At least two people are killed in a blaze at a shopping centre in the southwest Russian city of Ufa. (UPI)
- The death toll from flooding in South Africa rises to 70 and more than 8,000 families are homeless. Five other nearby countries - Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - are threatened by killer heavy rains. (BBC)
- Moqtada al-Sadr, an Iraqi Shia leader, returns to Iran. (Al Jazeera)
- Dutch national Vincent Tabak is charged with the murder of Joanna Yeates, and will make his first court appearance on 24 January. (BBC)
- Opposition supporters are arrested in Belarus after the swearing-in of President Alexander Lukashenko. (Al Jazeera)
- A civil society report reveals that more than a quarter of Zimbabweans on the voters' roll are deceased. (''Times Live South Africa'')
- Albania's prime minister Sali Berisha vows there will be no Tunisia-style uprising in his country after three people are killed for protesting against the government's rule. (BBC)
- Situation in Ireland:
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen announces he is to make a ampquotsignificantampquot statement on his leadership of the ruling Fianna Fáil party in Dublin at 14:00, to be broadcast on television and radio. (RTÉ News)
- Brian Cowen resigns as leader of Fianna Fáil on what he describes as being ampquoton my own counselampquot. (Brisbane Times)
- Enda Kenny, leader of the opposition party Fine Gael, announces the party's intention to put forward a motion of no confidence in Brian Cowen on Tuesday if Cowen does not seek the immediate dissolution of Dáil Éireann. Labour also has a motion of no confidence in the Government scheduled for Wednesday, while Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams requests an immediate election. (''The Irish Times'')
- Shadow finance spokesperson Michael Noonan promises that, if the Irish government resigns, the opposition Fine Gael party will give quicker support for the Finance Bill intended to impose harsh austerity measures upon the country. He offers to facilitate the Green Party in getting out of the Irish government coalition. (RTÉ)
- An unmanned Japanese H-II Transfer Vehicle HTV-2 Resupply Craft was launched atop the H-IIB rocket Saturday on a mission to deliver cargo to the International Space Station. (CNN)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 22 January 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?