Saturday 29 January 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Hold It Against Me by Britney Spears.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 29 January 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 January
- 2011 Egyptian protests:
- The protests continue as Egyptian Army tanks surround Cairo's Tahrir Square. (''The Guardian'')
- Thousands of demonstrators converge on Egypt's Interior Ministry, one of the most visible signs of state authority in Egypt. Police shoot the demonstrators. Medical aid is given at the doors of mosques. (CNN)
- Five protesters are reported to have been wounded at the Interior Ministry. (Reuters)
- At least 100 people are killed and 1,000 injured in clashes so far. (NineMSN)
- Mubarak selects Ahmed Shafiq, a former air force commander and aviation minister, as his new prime minister, preserving the top three political jobs for men with military links. (Reuters)
- A curfew is extended from 16:00 until 8:00 Egyptian time according to state television. (''The Times of India'')
- Egyptian Museum during the riots:
- Head of antiquities Zahi Hawass says ancient artifacts at the famous Egyptian Museum in Cairo are safe from looters but could still be damaged by the potential collapse of NDP headquarters which was gutted by fire yesterday. (AP via Google News)
- Two mummies housed at the Egyptian Museum are destroyed and statues are broken into pieces, though ordinary citizens unite to prevent further destruction. The vandals are reported to have been convicts who escaped amid the protests. (The Voice of Russia)
- International response to the 2011 Egyptian protests:
- Viewers across the region and worldwide watch events unfold on Al Jazeera, which maintains an almost continuous live feed despite the Egyptian government's repeated censorship efforts. CNN claims its reporters have been attacked and cameras smashed. (''The New York Times'')
- China blocks searches for ampquotEgyptampquot on its internet and restricts media coverage. (AFP via Google News)
- People gather in historic Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts in the United States to peacefully protest against the Mubarak regime. They wave Egyptian flags, hold up signs, chant for Mubarak's resignation and call for an end to cell phone and Internet censorship perpetrated by the Egyptian government. (''Boston Herald'')
- Thousands of people gather in front of the United Nations in New York City to support the anti-government protests. (''The Star-Ledger'')
- 2011 English protests: Thousands of protesters demonstrate against cuts and increases in tuition fees in England police escort student leader Aaron Porter away in Manchester amid calls from protesters for his resignation. (''The Guardian'')
- Abdul Latif Ashna, the deputy governor of Afghanistan's Kandahar Province, is killed in a suicide attack. (BBC)
- Clashes between rebels and government forces in Somalia leave several civilians dead in the capital Mogadishu. (CP)
- Wall Street firm Goldman Sachs triples the base salary of its chief executive Lloyd Blankfein to $2 million, up from $600,000, after the bank's profit falls by 38 per cent. (BBC)
- Close to 8,000 protesters rally in Hamilton, Ontario to support workers locked out from Stelco after disagreeing against pension changes made by U.S. Steel. Analysts predict that similar protests may spread across the country. (''Niagara Falls Review'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?