Wednesday 24 May 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Patti LaBelle [Holt] in Philadelphia and Dominique Lavanant.
Mr. Skeffington, directed by Vincent Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1944!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1944 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Patti LaBelle [Holt] in Philadelphia: Pennsylvania, USA; singer (LaBelle - "Lady Marmalade").
- Dominique Lavanant: French actress, Cesar award-winning film and theatrical actress.
- Mirka Sartori: Italian beauty queen, crowned Miss Italy in 1964.
- Patti LaBelle: Pop Singer.
- Icelandic voters sever all ties with Denmark.
- Enver Hoxha becomes head of Albania anti-fascists.
- WWII: Six LSTs are accidentally destroyed and 163 men killed in Pearl Harbor's West Loch Disaster.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?