Monday 24 October 1966
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to 96 Tears by ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians.
In UK Distant Drums by Jim Reeves was in the top 5 hits.
The Fortune Cookie, directed by Billy Wilder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1966!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1966 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- F P Santangelo: Livonia, Michigan -- Outfielder (Montreal Expos).
- Shawn Lee: NFL defensive tackle (SD Chargers).
- Gerald Craffey: American homicide, raped and stabbed to death a disabled 33-year old woman, Corrine Flynn, on 8/27/1991, Hyde Park, MA.
- Simon Danczuk: English academic and politician.
- Roman Abramovich: Russian oil magnate.
- Sofya Yanovskaya: Russian mathematician and historian (d. 1966).
- Negotiations about the Vietnam War begin in Manila, Philippines.
- A military court in Jakarta sentences ex-foreign minister Subandrio to death.
- Spain closes its Gibraltar border to non-pedestrian traffic.
- NATO moves its HQ from Paris to Brussels.
- A fire aboard the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany in the Gulf of Tonkin kills 44 crewmen.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Four Tops - Reach Out I'll Be There
- ? (Question Mark) and the Mysterians - 96 Tears
- The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
- Johnny Rivers - Poor Side Of Town
- Herman's Hermits - Dandy
- The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee
- Tommy Roe - Hooray For Hazel
- Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
- The Rolling Stones - Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow
- Eric Burdon and the Animals - See See Rider
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 October 1966 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?