Saturday 27 May 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cathy Silvers in New York City and Jill Sterkel.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Mother-In-Law by Ernie K-Doe.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
A Raisin in the Sun, directed by Daniel Petrie, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hancock.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 May 1961!
Which were the important events of 27 May 1961 ?
- Mother's Day in Bolivia (Dfa de la Madre)
- Bruno, Bishop of Wnrzburg
- Pope John I
- Saint Julius the Veteran
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Venerable Bede
- Lag Ba'omer in Judaism (2005)
- Children's Day in Nigeria
- Cathy Silvers in New York City: New York, USA; actress (Jenny - Happy Days, Foley Square).
- Jill Sterkel: US swimmer (1976, 84, 88 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- Peri Gilpin in Waco: Texas, USA; actor (Roz Doyle - Frasier).
- John Lugbill in Wauseon: Ohio, USA; canoist/kayaker (Olympics-1992).
- Peri Gilpin: TV Actress.
- José Barbosa: Brazilian runner and coach
- 1st black light is sold
- President Kennedy announces US goal to reach Moon
- Fiorentina wins first Europe Cup II in Florence.
- Tunku Abdul Rahman, Prime Minister of Malaya, holds a press conference in Singapore, announcing his idea to form the Federation of Malaysia, comprising Malaya, Singapore, Sarawak, Brunei and North Borneo (Sabah).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 27 May 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?