Tuesday 1 May 1923
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Warren G. Harding (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Alban Moga and James Copeland.
Soul of the Beast, directed by John Griffith Wray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1923
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1923 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Alban Moga: French rugby player, selected 22 times in international events between 1945 and 1949 to play as 2nd row.
- James Copeland
- Frank Brian
- Joseph Heller in Brooklyn: New York, USA; novelist (Catch-22, 1963 Arts and Letters Award).
- Marcel Rayman: Polish soldier (d. 1944).
- Joseph Heller: American novelist short story writer and playwright (d. 1999).
- Antônio Mucciolo: Italian-Brazilian archbishop (d. 2012).
- Rahula College is established in Ceylon with the name of quotParakramabhahu Vidyalayaquot.
- Southeastern Michigan receives a record of snow after temperatures plummeted from 62 to 34 degrees between 1 and 6 pm on the previous day. National Weather Service
- The premiere of Bertolt Brecht's play ''In the Jungle (Im Dickicht)'' at the Residenztheater in Munich is interrupted by Nazi demonstrators.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1923 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Love Sends a Little Gift of Roses - Bar Harbor Society Orchestra
- The Okeh Laughing Record - Okeh Laughing Record