Thursday 1 May 1924
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Earl George and Enrico Josif.
White Shadows, directed by Graham Cutts, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1924
while So Big by Edna Ferber was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1924 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Earl George: Composer.
- Enrico Josif: Composer.
- Patricia Roberts Harris: 1st US black woman cabinet member.
- Karel Kachyna: Czech film director (d. 2004).
- Art Fleming in the Bronx: New York, USA; TV host (Jeopardy) (dies 1995).
- Jean Dop: France sport Champion
- Art Fleming: American actor and game show host (d. 1995)
- Evelyn Granville: American mathematician computer scientist and academic
- Big Maybelle: American singer and pianist (d. 1972)
- Karel Kachyňa: Czech director and screenwriter (d. 2004)
- Terry Southern: American author and screenwriter (d. 1995)
- August Cuppens: Flemish Author (Limburgs Driemanschap), dies at 62.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1924 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- You're in Kentucky Sure as You're Born - Isham Jones & His Orchestra
- I'm Goin' South - Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra
- Learn to Do the Strut - Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?