Wednesday 1 May 1946
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1946). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joanna Lumley and Wendy Allnutt.
A Night in Casablanca, directed by Archie Mayo, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
On TV people were watching Hour Glass.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1946
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1946 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Joanna Lumley: British actress born in Kashmir.
- Wendy Allnutt
- Barbara Lynne Devlin
- Valentin Muratov: USSR -- Floor exercise gymnist (1956 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Jerry Weiss in New York City: New York, USA; rocker (Blood Sweat and Tears).
- Bill Plympton: Artist.
- John Woo: Hong Kong director producer and screenwriter.
- Barbara Devlin: American astrologer with metaphysical interests; an author of books on her past lives.
- Bruce Robinson: Actor (Story of Adele H).
- Nick Fortune [Nicholas Fortuna]: Rock bassist (Buckinghams Chicago).
- Field Marshal Montgomery appointed British Supreme Commander
- Mrs Emma Clarissa Clement named "American Mother of the Year".
- Start of 3 year Pilbara strike of Indigenous Australians.
- The Paris Peace Conference concludes that the islands of the Dodecanese should be returned to Greece by Italy.
- At least 800 Indigenous Australian pastoral workers walk off the job in Northwest Western Australia, starting one of the longest industrial strikes in Australia.