Wednesday 8 May 1946
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Andre Boulerice and Edwin Duckworth.
The Postman Always Rings Twice, directed by Tay Garnett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
while The King's General by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hour Glass.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1946 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Andre Boulerice: French-Canadian politician.
- Edwin Duckworth: American scientist; chairman of the astronomy department at San Francisco City College, from September 1972.
- Robert Ward: American ecclesiastic, a Roman Catholic priest suspended and facing a single allegation of sex abuse in January 2001.
- André Boulerice: Canadian politician.
- Jonathan Dancy: English philosopher author and academic.
- Red Sox Johnny Pesky scores 6 runs in 1 game
- Estonian school girls Aili Jogi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1946 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Ink Spots - The Gypsy
- Bumble Boogie - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?