Thursday 1 May 1947US date format: 5/1/1947, UK date format: 1/5/1947
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jerry Heard and Carlos Ward.
Dishonored Lady, directed by Robert Stevenson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Birthday Party.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1947 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Jerry Heard: American golfer.
- Carlos Ward: rocker (B T Express).
- B Hyman: American author and pastor.
- Bobby Scott: Politician.
- Jacob Bekenstein: Mexican-born Israeli-American theoretical physicist (d. 2015).
- Sergio Infante: Chilean-Swedish poet and author.
- Patrick Maugein: French businessman who was the chairman of Soco International, an oil brokerage.
- Sanner: Leader of Norger blood bath, executed.
- Radar for commercial and private planes first demonstrated.
- Rear Admiral Roscoe H Hillenkoetter, US Navy, becomes 3th director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Cleveland Indians abandon League Park to play all games at Municipal Stadium.
- Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano; 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- The Salvatore Giuliano Gang opens fire on a labor parade near Portella Della Ginestra, Sicily, killing 11 people and wounding 30.
Planetary positions on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1947 ?