Saturday 1 September 1923US date format: 9/1/1923, UK date format: 1/9/1923
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 1, 1923). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Rocky Marciano and Kenneth Thomson.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, directed by Wallace Worsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 September 1923
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1923!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1923 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Rocky Marciano: American boxer who won the heavyweight title in 1952 by defeating Joe Walcott.
- Kenneth Thomson: 2nd Baron Thomson of Fleet Canadian businessman and art collector (d. 2006).
- Theo H Joekes: Journalist / Dutch MP (VVD).
- Lucien-Emile Bardonne: French prelate who was bishop of Châlons en Champagne from 16 September 1973 to 1 September 1998.
- 18th Davis Cup: USA beats Australia in New York (4-1)
- 7.9 earthquake strikes Tokyo andYokohama, kills 142,000
- US beats Australia in tennis, for their fourth straight Davis Cup.
- The Great Kanto earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, killing about 105,000 people.
Planetary positions on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1923 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Who's Sorry Now? - Marion Harris
- Aunt Hagar's Blues - Ted Lewis & His Band
- Yes! We Have No Bananas - Selvin's Orchestra
- Baby Won't You Please Come Home Blues - Bessie Smith