Friday 14 September 1923
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gaetano Badalamenti and Gaetano Badalementi.
Zaza, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
while Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1923!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1923 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Gaetano Badalamenti
- Gaetano Badalementi: Italian mafia boss involved in drug trafficking, the black market and smuggling.
- Nicholas Georgiadis: Greek painter, stage and costume designer (Born 1923).
- Jack Dempsey KOs Luis Firpo in 2 for heavyweight boxing title
- Red Sox 1st baseman George Burns pulls off an unassisted triple play
- Miguel Primo de Rivera becomes dictator of Spain.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1923 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Stella - Al Jolson
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?