Monday 17 September 1923
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1923). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hank Williams and John Hale.
A Woman of Paris: A Drama of Fate, directed by Charles Chaplin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1923
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1923!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1923 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Hank Williams: American musician, a country western singer and songwriter who wrote about 125 songs with no formal musical training, without knowing a note of music.
- Lee Kuan Yew: Statesman.
- John Hale: Linguist.
- Bob Rothel: American baseball player, a right-handed third baseman who played four games with the Cleveland Indians in April 1945.
- Ralph Sharon: English-American pianist composer and conductor (d. 2015).
- A major fire in Berkeley, California erupts, consuming some 640 structures, including 584 homes in the densely built neighborhoods north of the campus of the University of California.