Saturday 5 May 1962
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jenifer McKitrick and Nicolas Vanier.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Soldier Boy by The Shirelles.
In UK Wonderful Land by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Mothra, directed by Inoshiro Honda, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while O'Neill by Arthur and Barbara Gelb was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 5 May 1962 ?
- Martyrs Neophytos, Gaius and Gaianus
- Euthymios the Wonderworker
- Barlaam of Serpukhov
- Martin and Heraclius of Illyria
- Eulogios the Confessor
- New Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri
- Albania: Martyrs' Day.
- Great Martyr Irene
- Roly Poly of Georgia.
- Saint Aventinus (d. 1189)
- Ethiopia: Liberation Day (1941).
- International Midwives Day.
- Adrian of Monzensk
- South Korea: Children's Day.
- Guyana: Indian Immigration Day (1838).
- Council of Europe: Europe Day.
- International No Pants Day.
- Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Taiwan (2006): Buddha's Birthday.
- Japan: Tango no Sekku (Boy's Day) or Kodomo no hi (Children's Day).
- Mexico and (informally) the United States: Cinco de Mayo (1862).
- Jenifer McKitrick: American songwriter.
- Nicolas Vanier: French adventurist, writer, and moviemaker; his first film was titled "The Last Trapper" (2004).
- Sot Chitalada: Thai boxer.
- Kaoru Wada: Japanese composer and conductor.
- LA Angel Bo Belinsky no-hits Baltimore Orioles, 2-0
- West Side Story soundtrack album goes to #1 and stays #1 for 54 weeks which is more than 20 weeks longer than any other album
- 88th Kentucky Derby: Bill Hartack aboard Decidedly wins in 2:00.4.
- Twelve East Germans escape via a tunnel under the Berlin Wall.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm
- Joey Dee and the Starliters - Shout - Part 1
- Clyde McPhatter - Lover Please
- Chubby Checker - Slow Twistin'
- Jimmy Dean - P.T. 109
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Twist, Twist Senora
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?