Tuesday 8 May 1962
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Terry Baker and Alain Bauer.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Soldier Boy by The Shirelles.
In UK Nut Rocker by B Bumble & The Stingers was in the top 5 hits.
Peeping Tom, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1962 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Terry Baker: Canadian Football League kicker (Montreal Alouettes).
- Alain Bauer: French criminologist and freemason, elected professor of criminology at the National Conservatory for Arts and Crafts (CNAM Paris) and a Senior Research Fellow at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice (New York) and the University of Law and Political Science of China (Beijing).
- Alain Gautier: French sailor, known for winning the Vendée Globe 1992-1993.
- Natalia Molchanova: Russian diver (d. 2015).
- Funny Thing Happened opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 965 performances
- 1st Atlas Centaur Launch
- London trolley buses go out of service
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 May 1962
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm
- Jay and the Americans - She Cried
- Walter Brennan - Old Rivers
- Ernie Maresca - Shout! Shout! (Knock Yourself Out)
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Twist, Twist Senora
- Joey Dee and the Starliters - Shout - Part 1
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?