Thursday 24 May 1962
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gene Anthony Ray and Dorothy Trapp.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Stranger On The Shore by Mr. Acker Bilk.
In UK Nut Rocker by B Bumble & The Stingers was in the top 5 hits.
Lonely Are the Brave, directed by David Miller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1962!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1962 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Gene Anthony Ray: American actor (d. 2003).
- Dorothy Trapp: equestrian 3-day (Olympics-1996).
- Bev Lidyoff in Huntington Park: California, USA; WPVA volleyball player (US Open-7th-1994).
- Hector Camacho: Puerto Rican boxer.
- Luiza Brunet: Brazilian model with part Indian heritage, extremely beautiful.
- Massimo Mauro: Italian soccer player with the league and later the president of the Genoa Soccer Club, 1997. He entered politics and became a Member of Parliament.
- Héctor Camacho: Puerto Rican boxer and singer (d. 2012)
- Stephen Otter: English police officer
- Gene Ray: American actor dancer and choreographer (d. 2003)
- M Scott Carpenter aboard Aurora 7 launched into earth orbit.
- Project Mercury: American astronaut Scott Carpenter orbits the Earth three times in the Aurora 7 space capsule.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 May 1962
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- Walter Brennan - Old Rivers
- Brenda Lee - Everybody Loves Me But You
- Jay and the Americans - She Cried
- Jimmy Dean - P.T. 109
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Dion - Lovers Who Wander
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?