Wednesday 9 May 1962
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Heaton rocker (The Housemartins - "Happy Hour and Dave Gahan.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Soldier Boy by The Shirelles.
In UK Nut Rocker by B Bumble & The Stingers was in the top 5 hits.
Peeping Tom, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while A Bridge For Passing by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar! or Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1962 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Paul Heaton rocker (The Housemartins - "Happy Hour: Over There").
- Dave Gahan: British musician, a member of the rock group Depeche Mode and their lead singer.
- John Corbett: American actor.
- Paul Heaton: English singer-songwriter (The Housemartins and The Beautiful South).
- Beatles sign their 1st contract with EMI Pstlophone
- US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Christmas Island.
- Laser beam successfully bounced off Moon for first time.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
- Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time
- Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore
- Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel
- Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm
- Jay and the Americans - She Cried
- Walter Brennan - Old Rivers
- Ernie Maresca - Shout! Shout! (Knock Yourself Out)
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Twist, Twist Senora
- Joey Dee and the Starliters - Shout - Part 1
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?