Sunday 6 January 1974, Epiphany
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Juan Roque and Marcus Crandell.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce.
In UK Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade was in the top 5 hits.
Don't Look Now, directed by Nicolas Roeg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1974
while The Salamander by Morris L. West was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching How to Survive a Marriage.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Tank or Tank.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 6 January 1974 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Juan Roque: tackle (Detroit Lions).
- Marcus Crandell: Canadian Football League quarterback (Edmonton Eskimos).
- Paolo Camossi: Italian champion of the indoor triple jump 3/09/2001, winning the World Gold Medal.
- Romain Sardou: French novelist, the son of the famous French singer and songwriter Michel Sardou.
- Daniel Cordone: Argentinian footballer.
- Paul Grant: American basketball player and coach
- David Alfaro Siqueiros: Mexican social realist painter, better known for his large murals in fresco.
- CBS Mystery Theater, premieres on radio
- England begins three-day work week during mine strike.
- In response to the 1973 energy crisis, daylight saving time commences nearly four months early in the United States.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1974 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
- Steve Miller Band - The Joker
- Helen Reddy - Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)
- Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl
- Al Wilson - Show And Tell
- Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boy's Room
- Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Barry White - Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up
- Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - I've Got To Use My Imagination
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Mud - Lonely This Christmas
- Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody
- The New Seekers - You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me
- Barry White - You're The First, The Last, My Everything
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Leo Sayer - The Show Must Go On
- The Rubettes - Juke Box Jive
- Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
- Alvin Stardust - My Coo-Ca-Choo
- Gary Glitter - Oh Yes You're Beautiful
Search For Your Ancestors
Celebrate 6 January 1974 with a precious gift
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?