Monday 8 August 1955
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Caroline Aiken and Diddu.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Hell and Back, directed by Jesse Hibbs, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Dinner Party by Gretchen Finletter was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Frankie Laine Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 August 1955
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1955 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Caroline Aiken
- Diddu: Icelandic soprano and songwriter.
- Debra Lee: Entrepreneur.
- Diddú : Icelandic singer-songwriter.
- Ali Score: Rock drummer (Flock Of Seagulls).
- Michael Roe: Irish race car driver.
- Branscombe Richmond: American actor stuntman and producer.
- Herbert Prohaska: Austrian footballer and manager.
- Fidel Castro forms July 26th Movement
- Geneva conference held to discuss peaceful uses of atomic energy
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- Johnny Desmond - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Perry Como - Tina Marie
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Wake The Town And Tell The People
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?