Thursday 18 August 1955
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Taher ElGamal and Bruce Benedict.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while How To Live 365 Days A Year by John A. Schindler was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Children's Corner.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 18 August 1955 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- Taher ElGamal: Egyptian scientist.
- Bruce Benedict: American baseball player and coach.
- Taher Elgamal: Egyptian-American cryptographer.
- 46.1 cm rainfall at Westfield, Massachusetts (state record)
- Sjukri al-Quwatli re-elected President of Syria
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Desmond - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Perry Como - Tina Marie
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Wake The Town And Tell The People
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
- Chuck Miller - The House Of Blue Lights
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?