Saturday 27 August 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Roderick Hopkins Davis and Laura Fygi.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tales of the Texas Rangers.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1955 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Roderick Hopkins Davis: Auckland, New Zealand -- Yachting Star class (1996 Olympics).
- Laura Fygi: Dutch singer, the daughter of a Dutch father (a manager at Philips) and an Egyptian mother.
- Kristien Hemmerechts: Belgian writer, who published her debut book in 1986 with the collection "First Fictions, Introduction 9" which was written in English.
- Robert Richardson: American cinematographer.
- Diana Scarwid: Savannah, Georgia -- Actress (Extermites, Psycho 3, Heat).
- Joachim Wach: Philosopher / sociologist (Sociology of Religion).
- Guinness Book of World Records 1st published
- Sandy Koufax fans 14 Reds, both teams combine for record 23 strikeouts
- First edition of the ''Guinness Book of Records'' is published, in London.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?