Tuesday 9 August 1955
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 9, 1955). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John E Sweeney and Doug Williams in Louisana.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
To Hell and Back, directed by Jesse Hibbs, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Gentlemen, Start Your Engines by Wilbur Shaw was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Frankie Laine Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 August 1955
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 9 August 1955 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Doug Williams in Louisana: USA; NFL quarterback (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins).
- John E Sweeney: American politician.
- Peter Schmuck: American sportswriter.
- Michael Huber: Swiss pro astrologer and noted family, the son of Bruno and Louise Huber.
- Mathieu Lindon: French journalist and writer, the youngest son of publisher Jérôme Lindon (who discovered Marguerite Duras and died in 2001), and the first cousin of actor Vincent Lindon.
- John Sweeney: American lawyer and politician.
- Marion Eugene Bauer: Composer, dies at 57.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- Johnny Desmond - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Perry Como - Tina Marie
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Wake The Town And Tell The People
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?