Friday 19 August 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Cindy Nelson and Mary-Anne Fahey.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Children's Corner.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1955 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Cindy Nelson: American skier who, by 1976, was know as America's best downhill racer.
- Mary-Anne Fahey: Australian actress and screenwriter.
- Peter Gallagher: Armonk, New York -- Actor (Player, Summer Lovers, Dreamchild).
- Patricia Scotland: Baroness Scotland of Asthal Dominican-English lawyer and politician Attorney General for England and Wales.
- Ned Yost: American baseball player and manager.
- 32.4 cm precipitation at Burlington, Connecticut (state record)
- Hurricane Diane kills 200 and 1st billion $ damage storm (N.E. US)
- US raises import duty on bicycles 50%
- In the Northeast United States, severe flooding caused by Hurricane Diane, claims 200 lives.
- Hurricane Diane hits the northeastern United States, killing over 200 people, and causing over $1.0 billion in damage.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Desmond - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Perry Como - Tina Marie
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Wake The Town And Tell The People
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Les Baxter & His Orchestra - Unchained Melody
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
- Chuck Miller - The House Of Blue Lights
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?