Sunday 8 August 1954
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nigel Mansell and Giovanna Stefanel.
In UK Cara Mia by David Whitfield With Mantovani & His Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Robinson Crusoe, directed by Luis Buuel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Not as a Stranger by Morton Thompson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Red Skelton Revue.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 8 August 1954 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Nigel Mansell: Formula-1 racer (Portugal Grand Prix-1990).
- Giovanna Stefanel: Italian noted family, the daughter of Carlo Stefanel, who works in the family's clothing business.
- Nick Holtam: English bishop.
- Gino Tagliapietra: Composer, dies at 67.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1954 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Celebrate 8 August 1954 with a precious gift
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?