Monday 15 August 1955US date format: 8/15/1955, UK date format: 15/8/1955
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 15, 1955). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Anne Pohtamo and Kenny Carr.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Pather Panchali, directed by Satyajit Ray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Game Of Hearts by Lesley Blanch was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Prince and the Pauper.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 August 1955
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1955 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Anne Pohtamo: Finnish beauty queen, winner of a...
- Kenny Carr
- Mary E. Pearson: Writer.
- Kenneth Carr: Clearwater, Florida -- Basketball player...
- Larry Mathews in Burbank: California, USA; actor (Ritchie - Dick...
- Jussi Parviainen: Finnish playwright, screenwriter and...
- WXEX TV channel 8 in Richmond-Petersburg, VA (ABC) begins
Birth chart on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
- Chuck Berry - Maybellene
- Jaye P. Morgan - The Longest Walk
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- The Yellow Rose Of Texas - Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Chuck Miller - The House Of Blue Lights
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?