Wednesday 9 May 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Fleming and John Arnatt.
A Romance of the Redwoods, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1917 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- George Fleming: cyclist.
- John Arnatt: actor (Circumstantial Evidence).
- Antoine Sanguinetti: French admiral, nicknamed "Tony Carabine" (Tony the Rifle).
- Fay Kanin: American screenwriter and producer (d. 2013).
- WWI: The Nivelle Offensive is abandoned.
- Three peasant children claim to see the Virgin Mary above a Holm Oak tree in Cova da Iria near Fátima, Portugal.
- The nuncio Eugenio Pacelli, the future Pope Pius XII, is consecrated Archbishop by Pope Benedict XVL'Osservatore Romano, Weekly Edition in English, 12/19 August 1998, page 9
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1917 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?