Tuesday 9 May 1916
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cyril Bowles and Bernard William George Rose.
The Floorwalker, directed by Charles Chaplin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1916
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1916 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Bernard William George Rose: Composer / Organist.
- Cyril Bowles: bishop of Derby.
- Douglas Guest: organist.
- Wilfried Richter: German nazi military, waffen ss.
- Søren Sommerfelt: Norwegian diplomat.
- William Bois: American author and illustrator (d. 1993).
- British-France Sykes-Picot meet over division of Turkey.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1916 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Kiss Me Again - Olive Kline (as Alice Green)
- St. Louis Blues - Prince's Orchestra