Thursday 9 May 1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Fred Markham and John Stuper.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to All Shook Up by Elvis Presley.
In UK Cumberland Gap by Lonnie Donegan was in the top 5 hits.
Desk Set, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Black Obelisk by Erich Maria Remarque was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Date with the Angels.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 May 1957 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Fred Markham: first man to pedal a bike 65 mph.
- John Stuper: baseball pitcher (Saint Louis Cardinals).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Celebrate 9 May 1957 with a precious gift
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?