Saturday 9 May 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Ashcroft and Christian Gaillard.
Down Texas Way, directed by Howard Bretherton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1942 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- John Ashcroft: American attorney general in the cabinet of George W. Bush.
- Christian Gaillard
- Tommy Roe: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- David Gergen
- William Olner: British Member of Parliament.
- 68th Preakness: Basil James aboard Alsab wins in 1:57.
- Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.