Saturday 9 May 1942
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mike Millward and William Olner.
This Gun for Hire, directed by Frank Tuttle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1942 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Mike Millward: Rocker.
- William Olner: British Member of Parliament.
- Tommy Roe in Atlanta: Georgia, USA; rocker (Hooray for Hazel).
- John Ashcroft: American attorney general in the cabinet of George W. Bush.
- Tommy Roe: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- 68th Preakness: Basil James aboard Alsab wins in 1:57.
- Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 May 1942
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?