Wednesday 9 October 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Lennon and Susan Lucas.
The Great Dictator, directed by Charles Chaplin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingwa was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 9 October 1940 ?
- John Lennon: British musician, an icon in popular culture, Lennon became a megastar in the internationally renowned rock 'n roll group, "The Beatles," followed by a solo career that reflected the angst of the times.
- Susan Lucas: American writer, a contemporary novelist and author of "Steropticon" and "Fat Emily.
- Gordon J Humphrey: (Sen-R-New Hampshire, 1979- ).
- Hans Ulrich Humpert: Composer.
- Gordon Humphrey: American soldier pilot and politician.
- Joe Pepitone: baseball player (New York Yankees first baseman).
- Wilfred Grenfell: English medical missionary to Newfoundland and Labrador (Born 1865).
- World War II: Battle of Britain : During a night-time air raid by the German Luftwaffe, St. Paul's Cathedral in the City of London, England is hit by a bomb.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?