Tuesday 12 October 2010
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Assholes Finish First by Tucker Max was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hard Drive 13.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Pac-Man Party or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 12 October 2010 ?
- El Dia de la Raza - Latin America.
- French Republican Calendar - Chanvre (Hemp) Day, twenty-first day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Columbus Day (traditionally) - United States.
- Spain - Hispanic Day, National Day
- Malawi - Mother's Day
- Equatorial Guinea - Independence Day (from Spain, 1968)
- Also see October 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Our Lady of the Pillar (Zaragoza, Spain); Saint Wilfrid
- St. Fiace
- Roman festivals - Fortuna Redux, last day of the Ludi Augustales
- St. Domnina
- St. Seraphinus
- St. Amicus
- St. Edistius
- Bl. Camillus Constanzi
- St. Edwin
- St. Wilfrid
- St. Felix and Cyprian
- St. Heribert
- St. Maximilian of Lorch
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 October
- Two explosions occur in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, killing one person and injuring several others. The Al-Qaeda offshoot in the country also states its intention to establish a ampquotnew armyampquot to overthrow the President. (Voice of Russia)
- Two people are killed and ten injured after a NATO helicopter explodes just after landing in eastern Afghanistan. (AP via ''San Jose Mercury News'')
- A Nigeria Police Force station in the northern city of Maiduguri is destroyed in an attack blamed on the Boko Haram Islamist group. (BBC)
- British author Howard Jacobson wins the Man Booker Prize for Fiction for his book ''The Finkler Question''. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Greenpeace sends Facebook a letter containing half a million signatures asking the company to cut its ties to coal based electricity. (Reuters)
- 2010 strikes in France: French workers initiate a 24-hour strike against pension reform with transport services badly affected. (Euronews)
- 2010 Copiapó mining accident rescue:
- Chile begins attempts to rescue 33 miners trapped underground as a result of the 2010 Copiapó mining accident. (Reuters)
- The first of the miners, Florencio Ávalos, is pulled from the mine after two months underground. (BBC)
- 41 people die following a collision between a bus and a train in the Dnipropetrovsk region in the eastern Ukraine. (China Daily)
- 18 people die in a bus accident near Nowe Miasto nad Pilicą, Poland. (AP via Fox News)
- 2010 Atlantic hurricane season: Tropical Storm Paula (2010) reaches hurricane strength as it moves towards Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. (Reuters)
- Tanker ''Mindolo'' and cargo ship ''Jork Ranger'' collide off Scheveningen, Netherlands. (Yahoo)
- Nearly 700 people from a small town within Lagos, Nigeria, are relocated following heavy flooding. (CNN)
- Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono tours the disaster area resulting from the 2010 floods in West Papua Province. (RNZI)
- Iran says two foreigners arrested for interviewing the son of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani had connections to ampquotanti-revolutionaryampquot groups abroad. (Press TV)
- Judge Virginia A. Phillips of the United States District Court for the Central District of California orders an injunction against the United States military continuing its don't ask don't tell policy against lesbian and gay members. (AP via ''New York Times'')
- The trial of Ahmed Ghailani, the first Guantanamo Bay prisoner to face a criminal trial in the United States, begins in New York City. (Reuters)
- Kim Jong-il's eldest son, Kim Jong-nam, announces his opposition to the hereditary succession plan in North Korea which would see power transferred to his younger brother Kim Jong-un. (''Korea Herald'')
- The winners' list of the Kyrgyzstani parliamentary election is topped by the Ata-Zhurt party, led by former Emergency Situations Minister Kamchybek Tashiyev and is particularly popular in the south, gaining 8.88 percent of the vote. (Xinhua)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?