Wednesday 14 September 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anthony Clemente and Steve Gaines.
Thieves' Highway, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Big Story.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1949!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1949 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Anthony Clemente: American homicide: convicted along with his son Damian for the Charlestown restaurant massacre in which four men were shot to death and a fifth survived only because "Cleo" ran out of bullets.
- Steve Gaines: American musician.
- Gérard Larcher: French politician who has been President of the Senate of France since 2014.
- Ed King: American guitarist and songwriter (Lynyrd Skynyrd Hunger and Strawberry Alarm Clock).
- Tommy Seebach: Danish singer-songwriter pianist and producer (Sir Henry and his Butlers) (d. 2003).
- : American guitarist and songwriter (MC5 and Sonic's Rendezvous Band) (d. 1994)
- Eikichi Yazawa: Japanese singer-songwriter
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 September 1949
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?