Friday 23 September 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bruce Springsteen in Asbury and Brian Clark.
Pinky, directed by Elia Kazan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Mature Mind by Harry Allen Overstreet was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Front Page.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 September 1949!
Which were the important events of 23 September 1949 ?
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Adomnan of Iona, Saint Constantius, Saint Thecla.
- French Republican Calendar - Safran (Saffron) Day, second day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Saudi Arabia - National Day (unification 1932)
- Japanese Autumnal equinox Day (????/Sh?bun no hi)
- Celebrate Bisexuality Day - September 23rd of every year is designated as Celebrate Bisexuality Day and celebrated by members of the bisexual community and their allies worldwide. Observed annually since 1999.
- Also see September 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In ancient Latvia, the second day of Mikeli
- Astrology: Usually the first day of sun sign Libra in the tropical zodiac.
- Traditional New Year's Day in Constantinople and Eastern Orthodox churches ? because of the birthday of August, not because of the equinox.
- Bruce Springsteen in Asbury: New Jersey, USA; rock musician ("Born in the USA").
- Brian Clark: Canadian-Australian metaphysician and astrologer since 1972, the co-founder with Stase Mikal of "Fraternity for Canadian Astrologers" and editor of their national journal and newsletter.
- Christian Crahay: Belgian theatre, film and television actor, director and professor, who since 1996 has worked regularly as a lecturer at the Institute of Broadcast Arts in Brussels and since 1999 as a lecturer at the National School of Visual Arts in La Cambre.
- Bruce Springsteen: American musician known as "The Boss," a singer and songwriter, guitarist and leader of "The E Street Band.
- Bruce Sprinsteen: Freehold artists.
- Floella Benjamin: Baroness Benjamin Trinidadian-English actress academic and politician
- Jerry Jenkins: American author
- Kostas Tournas: Greek singer-songwriter
- Indian owner Bill Veeck holds funeral services to bury 1948 pennant
- US President Harry Truman announces evidence of USSR's first nuclear device detonation.
- U.S. Harry S. Truman announced that the USSR had the atomic bomb
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Ragtime Cowboy Joe - Jo Stafford
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?