Tuesday 17 September 1946
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Michael Jack and Michael Jack.
Caesar and Cleopatra, directed by Gabriel Pascal, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
while The King's General by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mixed Bill.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1946!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 17 September 1946 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- John Michael Jack
- Michael Jack: British Minister of State-home office.
- Billy Bonds: English footballer and manager.
- Heimar Lenk: Estonian journalist and politician.
- Frank Burke: American baseball player (Born 1880).
- Gypsy Lady, opens at Century Theater NYC for 79 performances
- If the Shoe Fits, opens at Century Theater NYC for 20 performances
- US armed forces adopt military payment certificates for use as the sole medium of exchange in US army establishments of certain countries in Europe, Mediterranean, and Pacific areas.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1946 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Blue Skies - Count Basie & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?