Wednesday 17 September 1947US date format: 9/17/1947, UK date format: 17/9/1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 17, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Marie-Thérèse Hermange and François Liberti.
The Unsuspected, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching WJLA ABC 7 News.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1947!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1947 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Marie-Thérèse Hermange
- François Liberti
- James Watkins: American merchandising marketeer and CEO...
- Gail Levine: American author.
- Karen Katz: Author.
- Jeff MacNelly: American political cartoonist (Born...
- Tessa Jowell: English social worker and politician...
- Robert Kidd: Marine geoscientist.
- Jackie Robinson is named Rookie of Year by Sporting News
- US Department of Defense forms
- James Forrestal sworn in as first US secretary of defense.
- September 21 ampndash The 1947 Fort Lauderdale Hurricane in southeastern Florida, and also in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, causes widespread damage and kills 51 people.
- National Security Act of 1947 becomes effective on this day creating the United States Air Force, National Security Council and the Central Intelligence Agency.
Birth chart on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1947 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra - I Wish I Didn't Love You So
- Near You - Alvino Rey & His Orchestra
- Johnny Mercer - Sugar Blues
- How Soon (Will I Be Seeing You) - Jack Owens
- Betty Hutton - I Wish I Didn't Love You So