Wednesday 20 April 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michal and Jessica Lange in Cloquet.
Champion, directed by Mark Robson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while A Rage to Live by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Fred Waring Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 April 1949!
Which were the important events of 20 April 1949 ?
- USA- National High Five Day
- Blessed Oda (d. 1158)
- Saint Victor (d.303)
- Saint Marcellinus
- Ridv�n begins at sunset (Bah�'f Faith).
- Festival of Matsu, Southeast Asia (2006).
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Taurus.
- Islam - Muhammad's Birthday observed in (2004)
- April 20 (4/20) is associated with 420 (cannabis culture).
- Saint Theotimus (died 407)
- Michal: Rocker.
- Jessica Lange in Cloquet: Minnesota, USA; actress (King Kong, Tootsie).
- Toller Cranston: Canadian skater, four-time free style champ and in 1976 a bronze medallist.
- Massimo D'Alema: Italian politician who is the former municipal and regional councilor for the FGCI, (Young Communists’ Federation) and from 1987 was elected to the Chamber of Deputies with the Italian Communist Party.
- Jessica Lange: American Academy-Award winning actress who began her film career with the remake of "King Kong" in 1976 and despite criticism, went on to win the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "Tootsie" in 1982, when she became the first actress to be nominated for two acting Oscars in the same year.
- Jockey Bill Shoemaker wins his first race, in Albany, California.
- The Royal Navy frigate ''Amethyst'' goes up the Yangtze River to evacuate British Commonwealth refugees escaping the advance of Mao's Communist forces. Under heavy fire, she grounds off Rose Island. After an abortive rescue attempt on April 26, she anchors 10 miles upstream. Negotiations with the Communists to let the ship leave drag on for weeks.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Forever and Ever - Margaret Whiting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?