Wednesday 21 December 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nicholas Penny and Thomas Sankara.
Whisky Galore, directed by Alexander Mackendrick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while Point of No Return by John P. Marquand was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching College of Musical Knowledge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 December 1949!
Which were the important events of 21 December 1949 ?
- Roman festivals - Divalia in honour of Angerona
- R.C. Saints - Saint Petrus Canisius ; formerly feast day of Thomas the apostle
- Also see December 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The summer solstice (Southern Hemisphere) or winter solstice (Northern Hemisphere), sometimes known as Yule, occurs on or very close to this date. It is an important festival in the Chinese calendar.
- Nicholas Penny: English historian and academic.
- Thomas Sankara: Burkinabé captain and politician 5th President of Burkina Faso (d. 1987).
- Nikolaos Sifounakis: Greek lawyer and politician.
- Dutch 1st Chamber accept soeveregnty of Indonesia
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Yingle Bells - Yogi Yorgesson with The Johnny Duffy Trio
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?