Sunday 11 December 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Christina Onassis .
Sands of Iwo Jima, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching College of Musical Knowledge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 December 1949!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 11 December 1949 ?
- USA - Admission day for Indiana (19th state, 1816)
- Burkina Faso - Republic Day (1958, Upper Volta became an autonomous republic in the French Community.)
- Argentina - Tango Day, Buenos Aires
- Also see December 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Roman festivals - One of the four Agonalia, this day in honour of Sol Indiges; also the Septimontium festival
- R.C. Saints - pope Damasus I: optional memorial; also Daniel the Stylite (not universal)
- Christina Onassis: American-born Greek/Argentine businesswoman socialite and heiress (d. 1988).
- WOAI (now KMOL) TV channel 4 in San Antonio, TX (NBC) 1st broadcast
- Chicago Bears' Johnny Lujack passes for six touchdowns versus Chicago Cardinals (52-29).
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas - Yogi Yorgesson with The Johnny Duffy Trio
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?