Friday 28 April 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include J Bedell and Elizabeth LeCompte.
Going My Way, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 April 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 28 April 1944 ?
- Arbor Day - legal state holiday in Nebraska, USA.
- National Heroes Day - public holiday in Barbados in honor of men and women who played a significant role in the island nation's history, such as Sir Garfield Sobers.
- Peter Chanel
- Louis Marie Grignon of Montfort
- Saints Vitalis and Valeria
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Theodora and Didymus
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which developed from the Canadian observance.
- National Day of Mourning in Canada to commemorate workers killed, injured, or suffering illness due to occupational hazards and accidents.
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Jam�l (Beauty) - First day of the third month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Roman Empire - first day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
- J Bedell: American businessman in marketing and public relations.
- Elizabeth LeCompte: American director and producer.
- Jean-Claude Van Cauwenberghe: Belgian politician 10th Minister-President of the Walloon Region.
- Alice Waters: American chef and author.
- Mohammed Alim Khan: the last Emir of the Emirate of Bukhara (Born 1880).
- Exercise Tiger ends with 750 US soldiers dead in D-Day rehearsal after their convoy ships were attacked by German torpedo boats
- Stalin meets Polish / US priest S Orlemanski
- Exercise "Tiger" ends with 750 US soldiers dead in D-Day rehearsal after their convoy ships were attacked by German torpedo boats.
- World War II: Nine German S-boots attacked US and UK units during Exercise Tiger, the rehearsal for the Normandy landings, killing 946.
- WWII: 749 American troops are killed in Exercise Tiger at Start Bay, Devon, England.
- May ndash ''No Exit'' published by Jean-Paul Sartre.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Bing Crosby - I'll Be Seeing You
- Besame Mucho - Andy Russell
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?