Saturday 29 August 1931
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bernard Rancillac and Victor Riley.
Waterloo Bridge, directed by James Whale, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1931
while The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Television Ghost.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1931!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1931 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Bernard Rancillac: French painter and sculptor.
- Victor Riley: American economist and CEO in charge of Keycorp, a corporate financial empire of small-town banks.
- Evelyn de Rothschild: English banker and businessman.
- Stelios Kazantzidis: Greek singer and guitarist (d. 2001).
- Lise Payette: Quebec politician, writer and columnist.
- David T Abercrombie: Abercrombie & Fitch founder (Born 1867).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?