Wednesday 19 August 1931
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 19, 1931). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bill Shoemaker and Marianne Koch.
Bombs Over Monte Carlo, directed by Hanns Schwarz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1931
On TV people were watching The Television Ghost.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 19 August 1931
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1931!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1931 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Bill Shoemaker: American jockey who rode a record-setting 40,350 races, reached 8,833 winners and $123 million in purses from the day of his first race on 3/19/1949 until his retirement in February 1990.
- Marianne Koch: German actress, best-known for her role in the 1964 spaghetti western "A Fistful of Dollars".
- Léopold Verroken: French race horse trainer and jockey, a harnessed trot racer who won the Prix d'Amérique in 1980 with Éléazar.
- Lefty Grove wins AL record tying 16th consecutive game