January 1904 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1904.
The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Arthur Balfour (Conservative), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1904: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1904?
- 01 Jan 1904 Netherlands Indies colony begins opium production.
- 04 Jan 1904 Stanley Cup: Ottawa Silver 7 beat Winnipeg Rowing Club, 2 games to 1
- 05 Jan 1904 England beat Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Rhodes 7-56 and 8-68.
- 07 Jan 1904 Marconi Company establishes "CQD" as first international radio distress signal.
- 08 Jan 1904 Pope Pius X banned low cut dresses in the presence of churchmen.
- 11 Jan 1904 Herero people of South West Africa, now Namibia, begin uprising.
- 12 Jan 1904 Southwest-Africa uprising under Samuel Maherero against German garison.
- 16 Jan 1904 The first large-scale bodybuilding competition in America takes place at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- 17 Jan 1904 Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard receives its premiere performance at the Moscow Art Theatre.
- 18 Jan 1904 Henry Ford sets a new automobile land speed record of 91.37nbspmph.
- 23 Jan 1904 Alesund Fire: the Norwegian coastal town Alesund is devastated by fire, leaving 10,000 people homeless and one person dead. Kaiser Wilhelm II funds the rebuilding of the town in Jugendstil style.
- 25 Jan 1904 179 die in coal mine explosion at Cheswick Pennsylvania.
- 29 Jan 1904 1st athletic letters given (University of Chicago football team)
British-American film actor, the...
American astrologer and psychic (d....
British-American noted photographer,...
Russian-born dancer and choreographer...
- See more
German palaeontologist (Born 1839).
dies at age 64.
dies at age 73.
dies at age 77.
- See more