January 1971 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1971.
The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Edward Heath (Conservative), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1971: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1971?
- 01 Jan 1971 Cigarette advertisements are banned on American television.
- 02 Jan 1971 The second Ibrox disaster kills 66 fans at a Rangers-Celtic football match
- 03 Jan 1971 Baltimore Colts beat Oakland Raiders 27-17 in AFC championship game.
- 04 Jan 1971 Ohio agrees to pay US$675,000 to relatives of Kent State prison victims.
- 05 Jan 1971 1st one-day international, Australia vs. England at the MCG
- 06 Jan 1971 Cecil Partee elected president pro tem of Illinois state senate.
- 07 Jan 1971 -40 degrees F (-40 degrees C), Hawley Lake, Arizona (state record).
- 08 Jan 1971 Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota established.
- 09 Jan 1971 Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen closes at Majestic NYC after 19 performances
- 10 Jan 1971 Light, Lively & Yiddish closes at Belasco Theater NYC after 87 performances
- 11 Jan 1971 1st Quickie Divorce granted in the UK
- 12 Jan 1971 All in the Family premieres on CBS featuring 1st toilet flush on TV
- 13 Jan 1971 Soon closes at Ritz Theater NYC after 3 performances
- 14 Jan 1971 John Snow takes 7-40 for England to beat Australia by 299 runs.
- 15 Jan 1971 Ari opens at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC for 19 performances
- 16 Jan 1971 Ard Schenk skates world record 1500m (1:58.7).
- 17 Jan 1971 Super Bowl V: Baltimore Colts-16, Dallas Cowboys-13 in Miami, Florida; Most Valuable Player: Chuck Howley, Dallas, Linebacker.
- 18 Jan 1971 Ivan Koloff beats Bruno Sammartino in New York, to become WWF champ.
- 19 Jan 1971 No, No Nanette opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 861 performances
- 20 Jan 1971 Ard Schenk skates world record 1000m (1:18.8).
- 21 Jan 1971 Alias Smith & Jones premieres on ABC TV
- 22 Jan 1971 John andYoko record Power to the People
- 23 Jan 1971 UCLA loses to Notre Dame, UCLA then wins next 88 games in a row
- 24 Jan 1971 NFL Pro Bowl: NFC beats AFC 27-6 (first Pro Bowl after NFL-AFL merger).
- 25 Jan 1971 WHMB TV channel 40 in Indianapolis, IN (IND) begins broadcasting
- 26 Jan 1971 Charles Manson convicted of murder
- 29 Jan 1971 Test debut of Dennis Keith Lillee, versus England at Adelaide.
- 30 Jan 1971 Ari closes at Mark Hellinger Theater NYC after 19 performances
- 31 Jan 1971 & Dave Bancroft and George Weiss elected to baseball Hall of Fame
American actor, singer, and film producer.
- See more
Actor (Broadway Spotlight, Guess What), dies at 60.
Actress (All Fall Down), dies at 64.
Composer, dies at 85.
Composer, dies at 82.
- See more