The year 1912 was a leap year, and the ‘unsinkable’ Titanic sank in the Pacific after hitting an iceberg.
This was also the year that the formation of the African National Congress by John Langalibalele Dube to call for improved rights of Black South Africans. The Nobel Prize for Literature went to Gerhart Hauptmann.
In probably the worst strike in the USA, close to 30,000 textile workers walked off from their jobs in Lawrence, Massachusetts. The strike started at the Everett Mill on January 11, spread to other mills. The Strike got ugly with shootings and stabbings; the striking families sent their children to Manhattan New York. The bread and roses strike lasted for a whole nine weeks and ended after an intervention from President Taft and the Congress.
Two days before Valentine's Day of 1912, the last emperor of China Hsian-T’ung abdicated after the Sun Yat-sen’s republican revolt. His abdication ended 267 years of Manchu rule and imperial rule, which lasted for 2,000 years. By the time of the revolution, the emperor was six years old, and he kept his residence in the Forbidden City in Beijing.
October 14 was the shooting of the Progressive’s presidential candidate of the USA, Theodore Roosevelt, on the chest, while greeting supporters. The perpetrator was a saloonkeeper, John Schrank with a .32-caliber bullet. A glasses case and a bundle of manuscripts in the breast pocket slowed down the bullet, and the 26th president of the USA escaped with minor injuries.
At the beginning of the year, the rotation of the Earth’s crust was the slowest ever recorded. Robert Falcon Scott, a British explorer and 4 companions arrived at the South Pole to find Amundsen beat them to it. Falcon and his team died on the return journey a few miles from a polar base.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1912
- Elihu Root
- Gerhart Hauptmann
- Gustaf Dalén
- Victor Grignard
- Paul Sabatier
Physiology or Medicine
- Alexis Carrel
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1912?
- 01 Jan 1912 The Republic of China is established.
- 04 Jan 1912 The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal Charter.
- 05 Jan 1912 The Prague Party Conference takes place.
- 06 Jan 1912 New Mexico is the 47th state admitted to the USA.
- 09 Jan 1912 US marines invade Honduras.
- 10 Jan 1912 Caillaux government in France resigns.
- 12 Jan 1912 -47 degrees F (-44 degrees C), Washta Iowa (state record).
- 13 Jan 1912 -40 degrees F (-40 degrees C), Oakland Maryland (state record).
- 17 Jan 1912 Robert Scott expedition arrives at South Pole, 1 month after Amundsen
- 18 Jan 1912 English explorer Robert F Scott and his expedition reach South Pole, only to discover that Roald Amundsen had gotten there before
- 23 Jan 1912 The International Opium Convention is signed at The Hague.
- 29 Jan 1912 Martial law declared in textile strike in Lawrence Massachusetts.
- 02 Feb 1912 Frederick R Law, parachutes from Statue of Liberty (stunt for Pathe).
- 09 Feb 1912 US Tennis Association amends rule taking bye away from defending champion.
- 12 Feb 1912 The Xuantong Emperor, the last Emperor of China, abdicates.
- 14 Feb 1912 Arizona was admitted to the Union as the 48th state
- 16 Feb 1912 VSV soccer team forms in Ijmuiden.
- 22 Feb 1912 J Vedrines makes first airplane flight over 100 mph-161.29 kph.
- 24 Feb 1912 Italy makes a surprise attack on the Ottoman port of Beirut, when the cruiser ''Giuseppe Garibaldi'' and the gunboat ''Volturno'' bombard the harbour. The attack kills 97 sailors and civilians.
- 26 Feb 1912 Coal miners strike in England (settle on March 1).
- 27 Feb 1912 Lord Kitchener opens Khartoum-El Obeid (Nyala) railway.
- 29 Feb 1912 Serbia and Bulgaria secretly sign a treaty of alliance for a term of eight years, with each pledging to come to the defense of the other during war.
- 01 Mar 1912 Isabella Goodwin, first US woman detective, appointed, New York City, New York.
- 05 Mar 1912 Spanish steamer "Principe de Asturias" sinks northeast of Spain, 500 die.
- 12 Mar 1912 Helen Hayes Theater opens at 238 W 44th Steet New York City.
- 13 Mar 1912 Stanley Cup: QuTbec Bulldogs sweep Moncton (New Brunswick) in two games.
- 14 Mar 1912 King Vittorio Emanuel III of Rome injured during assassination attempt.
- 15 Mar 1912 Pitcher Cy Young retires from baseball with 511 wins.
- 16 Mar 1912 Mrs William Howard Taft plants first cherry tree in Washington DC.
- 17 Mar 1912 Camp Fire Girls organization announced by Mrs Luther Halsey Gulick.
- 23 Mar 1912 Dixie Cup invented.
- 27 Mar 1912 Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo gives 3,000 cherry trees to be planted in Washington, D.C., to symbolize the friendship between the two countries.
- 29 Mar 1912 Captain Robert Scott, blizzard-bound in a tent 18 km from the South Pole, makes last entry in his diary "the end cannot be far".
- 30 Mar 1912 Sultan Abdelhafid signs the Treaty of Fez, making Morocco a French protectorate.
- 02 Apr 1912 Titanic undergoes sea trials under its own power
- 04 Apr 1912 Army fires on striking mine workers at Lena-gold fields Siberia.
- 06 Apr 1912 Electric starter first appeared in cars.
- 08 Apr 1912 Steamers collide in the Nile, drowning 200.
- 09 Apr 1912 Titanic leaves Queenstown Ireland for New York.
- 10 Apr 1912 RMS Titanic sets sail for its 1st and last voyage
- 11 Apr 1912 Cornerstone of Technion in Haifa Palestine laid.
- 13 Apr 1912 Royal Flying Corps forms (later RAF).
- 14 Apr 1912 Pan American Union forms.
- 15 Apr 1912 Titanic sinks at 2:20 AM off Newfoundland as band plays on
- 16 Apr 1912 Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to fly an airplane across the English Channel.
- 17 Apr 1912 Russian troops open fire on striking goldfield workers in northeast Siberia, killing at least 150.
- 18 Apr 1912 The Cunard liner RMS Carpathia brings 705 survivors from the RMS Titanic to New York City.
- 19 Apr 1912 16th Boston Marathon won by Mike Ryan of New York in 2:21:18.2.
- 20 Apr 1912 Fenway Park officially opens, Boston Red Sox beat New York Highlanders 7-6 in 11.
- 22 Apr 1912 Pravda, the ''voice'' of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, begins publication in Saint Petersburg.
- 27 Apr 1912 Relief laws replaces those of 1854, in the Netherlands
- 29 Apr 1912 108 degrees F (42 degrees C), Tuguegarao, Philippines (Oceania record high).
- 01 May 1912 Beverly Hills Hotel opens.
- 04 May 1912 Italian mariners occupy Turkish Island of Rhodes.
- 05 May 1912 5th Olympic games open at Stockholm, Sweden
- 07 May 1912 Columbia University approves plans for awarding the Pulitzer Prize in several categories The award is established by Joseph Pulitzer.
- 08 May 1912 Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 09 May 1912 American Numismatic Association receives federal charter.
- 11 May 1912 38th Kentucky Derby: Carol H Shilling aboard Worth wins in 2:09.4.
- 13 May 1912 Royal Flying Corps is established in England.
- 15 May 1912 Ty Cobb rushes a heckler at a New York Highlander game and is suspended.
- 18 May 1912 Maurits Binger establishes two Dutch movie companies.
- 23 May 1912 The Hamburg America Line's is launched in Hamburg and is the world's largest ship.
- 30 May 1912 US Marines sent to Nicaragua.
- 31 May 1912 US marines land on Cuba.
- 01 Jun 1912 Stormvogels soccer team forms in Ijmuiden
- 04 Jun 1912 Massachusetts becomes the first state of the United States to set a minimum wage.
- 05 Jun 1912 US marines invade Cuba (3nd time).
- 06 Jun 1912 The eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins. It is the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century.
- 07 Jun 1912 US army tests first machine gun mounted on a plane.
- 08 Jun 1912 Carl Laemmle incorporates Universal Pictures.
- 13 Jun 1912 Captain Albert Berry made the 1st parachute jump from an airplane
- 15 Jun 1912 26th US Womens Tennis: Mary K Browne beats Eleonora Sears (64 62)
- 19 Jun 1912 Tennessee University opened as Tennessee A&L State College
- 20 Jun 1912 New York Giants Josh Devore steals four bases in an inning (second and third twice).
- 26 Jun 1912 Gustav Mahlers 9th Symphony premieres in Vienna
- 30 Jun 1912 The Regina Cyclone hits Regina, Saskatchewan, killing 28. It remains Canada's deadliest tornado event.
- 04 Jul 1912 Jack Johnson TKOs Jim Flynn in 9 for heavyweight boxing title
- 06 Jul 1912 5th Olympic games in Stockholm opens
- 08 Jul 1912 G E V Crutchley (Oxford) 99 retired measles vs. Cambridge
- 10 Jul 1912 Hannes Kolehmainen runs world record 5000m (14:36.6)
- 12 Jul 1912 United States release of Sarah Bernhardt's film ''Les Amours de la reine Élisabeth'' is influential on the development of the movie feature. Adolf Zukor, who incorporates Paramount Pictures on May 8, 1914, launches his company as the distributor. Paramount celebrates its centennial in 2012.
- 14 Jul 1912 Kenneth McArthur runs Olympic record marathon (2:36:54.8)
- 15 Jul 1912 British National Health Insurance Act goes into effect.
- 16 Jul 1912 Naval torpedo launched from an airplane patented by B.A. Fiske.
- 17 Jul 1912 IAF (International Amateur Athletic Federation) forms in Sweden
- 18 Jul 1912 Chicago Cubs get 21 hits but lose to Philadelphia Phillies in 11 innings
- 19 Jul 1912 In Holbrook, Arizona, USA 14,000 meteorite stones fall; no injuries reported.
- 22 Jul 1912 5th Olympic games in Stockholm closes
- 25 Jul 1912 Comoros proclaimed a French colonies
- 30 Jul 1912 Emperor Meiji of Japan dies. He is succeeded by his son Yoshihito who becomes Emperor Taishō. In Japanese History, the event marks the end of the Meiji era and the beginning of the Taishō era.
- 31 Jul 1912 RBC soccer team forms in Roosendaal
- 02 Aug 1912 18th US Golf Open: John McDermott shoots a 294 at Country Club - Buffalo, New York
- 04 Aug 1912 United States occupation of Nicaragua: U.S. Marines land from the USS ''Annapolis'' in Nicaragua to support the conservative government at its request.
- 06 Aug 1912 The Bull Moose Party meets at the Chicago Coliseum.
- 07 Aug 1912 Progressive (Bull Moose) Party nominates Theodore Roosevelt for president.
- 12 Aug 1912 Sultan Abd Al-Hafid of Morocco abdicates.
- 14 Aug 1912 2,500 US marines invade Nicaragua; US remains until 1925.
- 20 Aug 1912 Plant Quarantine Act goes into effect.
- 21 Aug 1912 Mr Carter-Cotton chosen 1st chancellor of University of British Columbia
- 22 Aug 1912 England defeat Australia to win the Triangular Tournament
- 24 Aug 1912 US passes Anti-gag law, federal employees right to petition the government.
- 25 Aug 1912 Different nationalities battle with each other in Macedonia
- 26 Aug 1912 32nd US Mens Tennis: M E McLoughlin beats W F Johnson (36 26 62 64 62)
- 04 Sep 1912 1st accident (collision) in Londoner Underground: 22 injured person
- 06 Sep 1912 New York Giants Jeff Tesreau no-hits Philadelphia Phillies, 3-0.
- 07 Sep 1912 Eddie Collins steals record 6 bases in 9-7 Athletics win over Detroit
- 09 Sep 1912 J Verdrines becomes first to fly over 100 mph (107 mph/172 kph).
- 11 Sep 1912 Netherland Olympic Committee forms
- 12 Sep 1912 Dutch Olympian Committee forms (NOC)
- 15 Sep 1912 War between Turkey and Montenegro breaks out in Albania
- 17 Sep 1912 Center fielder Casey Stengel breaks in with Brooklyn and hits 4 singles
- 19 Sep 1912 Pius X encyclical Singular quadam, against interconfess unions
- 22 Sep 1912 Eddie Collins repeats record of stealing 6 bases in a game (9 / 7 / 12)
- 23 Sep 1912 Mark Sennet presents 1st Keystone Cops film (Cohen Collects a Debt)
- 25 Sep 1912 Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is founded in New York, New York.
- 27 Sep 1912 W C Handy publishes Memphis Blues 1st Blues Song, 1912
- 28 Sep 1912 SS Kichemaru disappears in storm off Japanese coast, 1,000 die
- 29 Sep 1912 French / British troops lands on Samoa
- 06 Oct 1912 Pirates Owen Chief Wilson hits record 36th triple of season
- 07 Oct 1912 The Helsinki Stock Exchange sees its first transaction.
- 08 Oct 1912 First Balkan War begins: Montenegro declares war against Turkey.
- 14 Oct 1912 Bull Moose Teddy Roosevelt shot while campaigning in Milwaukee.
- 16 Oct 1912 Boston beats New York Giants, 4 games to 3 with a tie in 9th World Series.
- 17 Oct 1912 Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia declare war on the Ottoman Empire, joining Montenegro in the First Balkan War.
- 18 Oct 1912 Beginning of the first Balkan War.
- 19 Oct 1912 Italy takes possession of Tripoli, Libya from the Ottoman Empire.
- 20 Oct 1912 Cort Theater opens at 148 W 48th St, New York City
- 21 Oct 1912 During the First Balkan War, Kardzhali is liberated by Bulgarian forces
- 23 Oct 1912 First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo between the Serbian and Ottoman armies begins.
- 24 Oct 1912 First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo concludes with the Serbian victory.
- 26 Oct 1912 Woolwich Tunnel under Thames opens
- 05 Nov 1912 Arizona, Kansas andWisconsin vote for female suffrage
- 07 Nov 1912 The Deutsche Opernhaus (now Deutsche Oper Berlin) opens in the Berlin neighborhood of Charlottenburg, with a production of Beethoven's Fidelio.
- 12 Nov 1912 The frozen bodies of Robert Scott and his men are found on the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica.
- 18 Nov 1912 Albania declares independence from Turkey.
- 23 Nov 1912 Hamilton Alerts suspended by ORFU for refusing to field a full team in a replay of a protested game
- 25 Nov 1912 Socialist International rejects that world war is coming
- 27 Nov 1912 Spanish protectorate in Morocco established.
- 28 Nov 1912 Albania declares its independence from the Ottoman Empire.
- 30 Nov 1912 4th CFL Grey Cup: Hamilton Alerts defeats Toronto Argonauts, 11-4
- 03 Dec 1912 Gerrit Brinkman becomes first Dutch traffic officer.
- 06 Dec 1912 China votes for universal human rights.
- 07 Dec 1912 Bust of Queen Nefertete found in El-Amarna, Egypt.
- 08 Dec 1912 Leaders of the German Empire hold an Imperial War Council to discuss the possibility that war might break out.
- 16 Dec 1912 Austria-Hungary engage in conflict with Serbia.
- 18 Dec 1912 The Piltdown Man, later discovered to be a hoax, is found in the Piltdown Gravel Pit, by Charles Dawson.
- 19 Dec 1912 William H. Van Schaick, captain of the steamship General Slocum which caught fire and killed over 1,000 people, is pardoned by U.S. President William Howard Taft after three-and-a-half-years in Sing Sing prison.
- 21 Dec 1912 Denmark, Norway and Sweden declare neutrality in Comende war
- 23 Dec 1912 Aswan Dam in Nile begins operation.
- 24 Dec 1912 Irving Fisher patents archiving system with index cards.
- 28 Dec 1912 San Francisco Municipal Railway starts operation at Geary Street
- 30 Dec 1912 The First Balkan War ends temporarily: Bulgaria, Greece, Montenegro, and Serbia (the Balkan League countries) sign an armistice with Turkey, ending the two-month-long war.