In 1913, one year before the start of World War One, the militarization of Europe reached its fateful crescendo and the world population clocked in at just over 1.8 billion people. Woodrow Wilson took over as the President of the United States.
Some notable firsts occurred for the United States Postal Service, automobiles, the US constitution, minimum wage, baseball snacks, and kitchen appliances. Both Harriet Tubman and Alfred Russel Wallace passed away this year.
In happier news, 1913 gave birth to President Nixon, the Country of Albania, President Ford, and football legend Vince Lombardi.
It was a different time for the media. In terms of popular culture, the most popular books were The Student of Prague and Fantomas: In the Shadow of the Guillotine. The silver screen saw Tarzan return in aptly named The Return of Tarzan and the first screening of O Pioneers.
While commonly seen as the kick-off to World War One, 1913 had a lot more to it than that.
To begin with, the United States saw a lot of legal and constitutional changes. The ratification of the 16th amendment allowed for the creation of the first income tax. Later that year, the 17th amendment, which required direct election of senators, passed into law. In addition to the amendments, the state of Oregon passed the first minimum wage law, the US Postal Office made its first parcelpost deliveries, and Woodrow Wilson signed the Federal Reserve Act.
In other countries, including India, worldwide protests ensued against unfair governments; Gandhi featured heavily in some of these uprisings.
With the introduction of Picasso, Matisse, and Duchamp at the NY Armory Show, the United States received a boost in the arts. On February 15th, baseball snacks changed forever: Cracker Jack inserted its first prize into its boxes.
In terms of major inventions, this year had two: Igor Sikorsky’s first four-engine aircraft and the August 14thcreation of stainless steel. If you love your newly redesigned kitchen, or happen to love Tarzan, 1913 gave you something to smile about.
All Nobel Prize winners of 1913
- Henri La Fontaine
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Heike Kamerlingh Onnes
- Alfred Werner
Physiology or Medicine
- Charles Richet
Which were the top hits of 1913?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Al Jolson - You Made Me Love You, I Didn't Want to Do It
- Ada Jones - Row! Row! Row!
- Christie MacDonald - Sweethearts
- American Quartet - That Old Girl of Mine
- John McCormack - Where the River Shannon Flows
- Enrico Caruso - Because
- Bert Williams - Nobody
- Fritz Kreisler - Liebesleid (Love's Sorrow)
- Chauncey Olcott - My Wild Irish Rose
- Elsie Baker - A Perfect Day
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1913?
- 01 Jan 1913 Post office begins parcel post deliveries.
- 05 Jan 1913 First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 07 Jan 1913 William M Burton patents a process to "crack" petroleum.
- 08 Jan 1913 Frank Chance becomes New York Yankees manager.
- 11 Jan 1913 Bread and Roses Strike begins.
- 13 Jan 1913 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated is founded on the campus of Howard University as the second Black Greek Letter Organization for Women. The mission is to make a move towards social activism.
- 16 Jan 1913 British House of Commons accepts Home-Rule for Ireland.
- 17 Jan 1913 Raymond Poincare is elected President of France.
- 18 Jan 1913 Turkish-Greek sea battle near Troy.
- 21 Jan 1913 Aristide Briand forms French government.
- 23 Jan 1913 General election in Tasmania.
- 24 Jan 1913 Franz Kafka stops working on "Amerika"; it will never be finished.
- 26 Jan 1913 Jim Thorpe relinquishes his 1912 Olympic medals for being a pro.
- 29 Jan 1913 Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, at Howard University, incorporates.
- 30 Jan 1913 The United Kingdom's House of Lords rejects the Irish Home Rule Bill.
- 02 Feb 1913 New York football Giants sign Jim Thorpe
- 03 Feb 1913 16th Amendment, federal income tax, ratified.
- 04 Feb 1913 National Institute of Arts and Letters founded.
- 05 Feb 1913 Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history, with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
- 09 Feb 1913 A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 10 Feb 1913 Edward Sheldons "Romance" premieres in New York City, New York.
- 13 Feb 1913 Mexican Revolution: Begins the episode known as ''La Decena Trágica'', the rebellion of some military chiefs against the President Francisco I. Madero.
- 16 Feb 1913 President Taft agrees not to intervene in Mexico.
- 17 Feb 1913 New York Armory Show introduces Picasso, Matisse, Duchamp to US public.
- 18 Feb 1913 French painting "Nude Descending a Staircase" by Marcel DuChamp displayed at Armory Show in New York City, New York.
- 19 Feb 1913 Mexican General V Huerta takes power with US support.
- 20 Feb 1913 King O'Malley drives in the first survey peg to mark commencement of work on the construction of Canberra.
- 21 Feb 1913 Ioannina is incorporated into the Greek state after the Balkan Wars.
- 22 Feb 1913 Mexican Revolution: Assassination of President Francisco I. Madero and Vice President José María Pino Suárez. Is succeeded by General Victoriano Huerta.
- 25 Feb 1913 16th Amendment ratified, authorizing income tax.
- 28 Feb 1913 6.8-m, 4000-kg elephant seal killed, South Georgia (South Atlantic).
- 01 Mar 1913 US Federal income tax takes effect (16th amendment).
- 03 Mar 1913 Ida B Wells-Barnett demonstrates for female suffrage in Washington DC.
- 04 Mar 1913 Woodrow Wilson inaugurated as 28th President.
- 05 Mar 1913 March 7 ampndash First Battle of Bud Dajo: American troops decisively defeat Moro rebels in the Philippines.
- 07 Mar 1913 The British freighter ''Alum Chine'', carrying 343 tons of dynamite, explodes in Baltimore harbour.
- 08 Mar 1913 Internal Revenue Service begins to levy and collect income taxes.
- 10 Mar 1913 Stanley Cup: Quebec Bulldogs sweep Sydney (NS) Millionaires in 2 games
- 12 Mar 1913 Foundation stone of the Australian capitol in Canberra laid.
- 13 Mar 1913 Kansas legislature approves censorship of motion pictures.
- 14 Mar 1913 John D Rockefeller gives US$100 million to Rockefeller Foundation.
- 15 Mar 1913 Cleveland establishes first small claims court.
- 17 Mar 1913 The Uruguayan Air Force is founded.
- 18 Mar 1913 King George I of Greece is assassinated in the recently liberated city of Thessaloniki.
- 20 Mar 1913 Mexican Revolution: Venustiano Carranza announces his Plan of Guadalupe, and begins his rebellion against Victoriano Huerta's government as head of the ''Constitutionals''.
- 21 Mar 1913 Over 360 are killed and 20,000 homes destroyed in the Great Dayton Flood in Dayton, Ohio.
- 24 Mar 1913 Palace Theater opens at 1564 Broadway New York City.
- 25 Mar 1913 Great Dayton Flood.
- 26 Mar 1913 Bulgaria captures Adrianople, ending the first Balkan War.
- 28 Mar 1913 Guatemala becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 03 Apr 1913 British suffragette Emily Pankhurst sentenced to three years in jail.
- 04 Apr 1913 The Greek aviator Emmanouil Argyropoulos becomes the first pilot victim of the Hellenic Air Force when his plane crashes.
- 08 Apr 1913 17th amendment, requiring direct election of senators, ratified.
- 10 Apr 1913 President Woodrow Wilson throws out first ball, Senators beat New York Yankees 2-1.
- 14 Apr 1913 Belgium begins general strike for voting rights.
- 19 Apr 1913 17th Boston Marathon won by Fritz Carlson of Minnesota in 2:25:14.8.
- 21 Apr 1913 Gideon Sundback of Sweden patents the zipper.
- 22 Apr 1913 Montenegro troops march into Skoetari, North-Albania.
- 24 Apr 1913 The Woolworth Building skyscraper in New York City is opened.
- 26 Apr 1913 Sun Yet San calls for revolt against President Yuan Shikai in China.
- 29 Apr 1913 Swedish engineer Gideon Sundback of Hoboken patents all-purpose zipper.
- 01 May 1913 Longacre Theater opens at 220 W 48th Steet New York City, New York.
- 03 May 1913 Raja Harishchandra the first full-length Indian feature film is released, marking the beginning of the Indian film industry.
- 06 May 1913 King Nikita I of Montenegro vacates Skoetari, North-Albania.
- 09 May 1913 17th amendment provides for election of senators by popular vote.
- 10 May 1913 39th Kentucky Derby: Roscoe Goose aboard Donerail wins in 2:04.8.
- 12 May 1913 Harry Green runs world record marathon (2:38:16.2).
- 13 May 1913 Igor Sikorsky becomes the first person to pilot a 4-engine aircraft.
- 14 May 1913 French Hals museum opens in Harleem Netherlands.
- 19 May 1913 Webb Alien Land-Holding Bill passes, forbidding Japanese from owning land in USA.
- 20 May 1913 38th Preakness: James Butwell aboard Buskin wins in 1:53.4.
- 29 May 1913 Igor Stravinsky's ballet score The Rite of Spring receives its premiere performance in Paris, provoking a riot.
- 30 May 1913 As managers who have won 1,000 games
- 31 May 1913 Alexis Ahlgren runs world record maraton (2:36:06.6).
- 01 Jun 1913 The Greek-Serbian Treaty of Alliance is signed, paving the way for the Second Balkan War.
- 02 Jun 1913 Demonstrations for general voting right in Neth
- 03 Jun 1913 Dutch 1st Chamber accepts Health laws
- 05 Jun 1913 Dutch Disability laws go into effect
- 06 Jun 1913 Rabbit Maranville, is thrown out trying to steal home three times.
- 08 Jun 1913 The Deutsches Stadion in Berlin is dedicated with the release of 10,000 pigeons, in front of an audience of 60,000 people. It has been constructed especially for the 1916 Summer Olympics, which are cancelled as a result of World War I.
- 13 Jun 1913 45th Belmont: Roscoe Troxler aboard Prince Eugene wins in 2:18
- 15 Jun 1913 The Battle of Bud Bagsak in the Philippines ends.
- 16 Jun 1913 South-African parliament forbids blacks owning land
- 18 Jun 1913 The Arab Congress of 1913 opened, during which Arab nationalists met to discuss desired reforms under the Ottoman Empire.
- 20 Jun 1913 Bert Daniels set AL mark, being hit-by-pitch 3 times in a doubleheader
- 21 Jun 1913 Tiny Broadwick is 1st woman to parachute from an airplane
- 23 Jun 1913 Second Balkan War: The Greeks defeat the Bulgarians in the Battle of Doiran.
- 24 Jun 1913 53rd British Golf Open: J H Taylor shoots a 304 at Hoylake Hoylake
- 25 Jun 1913 Dutch Parliamentary election (confess party looses majority)
- 29 Jun 1913 2nd Balkan War begins-Bulgaria overthrows Greek / Serbian troops
- 30 Jun 1913 New York Giants score 10 in 10th to beat Philadelphia Phillies 11-1.
- 01 Jul 1913 Serbia and Greece declare war on Bulgaria
- 03 Jul 1913 Common tern banded in Maine; found dead in 1919 in Africa (1st bird known to have crossed the Atlantic)
- 04 Jul 1913 37th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: A F Wilding beats McLoughlin (86 63 10-8)
- 05 Jul 1913 Queen Wilhelmina meets SDAP-leader Troelstra
- 07 Jul 1913 British House of Commons accepts Home-Rule Law
- 10 Jul 1913 Romania declares war on Bulgaria
- 18 Jul 1913 After 68 straight innings Christy Mathewson gives up a walk.
- 20 Jul 1913 Turkish troop take Adrianopel and Erdine from Bulgaria
- 23 Jul 1913 Arabs attack Jewish community of Rechovot Palestine
- 25 Jul 1913 Carl Weilman strikes out six times in a 15 inning game.
- 27 Jul 1913 Belgian Philippe Thys wins Tour de France
- 28 Jul 1913 12th Davis Cup: USA beats British Isles in Wimbledon (3-2)
- 29 Jul 1913 Albania becomes sovereignty under Prince Wilhelm von Wied
- 30 Jul 1913 Conclusion of the second Balkan War.
- 31 Jul 1913 The Balkan States signs an armistice at Bucharest.
- 03 Aug 1913 A major labour dispute, known as the Wheatland Hop Riot, starts in Wheatland, California.
- 04 Aug 1913 In China, the province of Chungking declares independence Chinese Republican forces crush the rebellion in a couple of weeks.
- 08 Aug 1913 Richard Corfields Camel Corps opens Mad Mullah in Burao Somalia
- 10 Aug 1913 2nd Balkan War ends, Treaty of Bucharest, Bulgaria loses
- 13 Aug 1913 Otto Witte, an acrobat, is purportedly crowned King of Albania.
- 16 Aug 1913 Tohoku Imperial University of Japan (modern day Tohoku University) admits its first female students.
- 20 Aug 1913 Piotr Nesterow 1st flight (Kiev Ukraine)
- 22 Aug 1913 Robert Martineau, Bishop of Blackburn
- 23 Aug 1913 The statue of ''The Little Mermaid'' is unveiled in Copenhagen.
- 26 Aug 1913 33rd US Mens Tennis: M E McLoughlin beats R N Williams (64 57 63 61)
- 28 Aug 1913 Queen Wilhelmina opens the Peace Palace in The Hague.
- 29 Aug 1913 Pieter Cort Van de Linden forms Dutch government
- 31 Aug 1913 Soccer club PSV forms in Eindhoven Netherlands
- 01 Sep 1913 George Bernard Shaws Androcles & the Lion, premieres in London
- 02 Sep 1913 Amsterdam reroutes sewage of canals to South Seas
- 06 Sep 1913 19th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Jerry Travers
- 09 Sep 1913 Association for Study of Negro Life and History organizes in Chicago.
- 10 Sep 1913 1st US paved coast-to-coast highway, the Lincoln Highway, opens
- 14 Sep 1913 27th US Womens Tennis: Mary K Browne beats Dorothy Green (62 75)
- 16 Sep 1913 1000s of women demonstrate for Dutch female suffrage
- 17 Sep 1913 In Chicago, the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith is founded, with Sigmund Livingston as its first president.
- 20 Sep 1913 19th US Golf Open: Francis Ouimet shoots a 304 at The Country Club, Massachusetts
- 21 Sep 1913 Turkey and Bulgaria sign peace treaty in Constantinople
- 22 Sep 1913 Coal mine explosion kills 263 at Dawson New Mexico.
- 23 Sep 1913 Roland Garros is 1st to fly over Mediterranean Sea
- 29 Sep 1913 Sam S Shubert Theater opens at 225 W 44th St, New York City
- 01 Oct 1913 Mexican Revolution: Pancho Villa's troops take Torreón after a 3-day battle, when government troops retreat.
- 03 Oct 1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%).
- 04 Oct 1913 Brooklyn Dodger Jake Daubert earns a new Chalmers auto as NL MVP
- 07 Oct 1913 Henry Ford institutes moving assembly line
- 09 Oct 1913 Steamship SS Volturno catches fire in the mid-Atlantic.
- 10 Oct 1913 British passenger ship Volturno catches fire in Atlantic (136 kill)
- 11 Oct 1913 Philadelphia Athletics beat New York Giants, four games to one in 10th World Series.
- 13 Oct 1913 Explosion and fire in Universal Coal Mine, South Wales
- 14 Oct 1913 Explosion in coal mine at Cardiff kills 439
- 15 Oct 1913 Train crash in Liverpool during Black Week
- 16 Oct 1913 Booth Theater opens at 222 W 44th St, New York City
- 18 Oct 1913 Austrian-Hungary demands that Serbia and Albania leave
- 19 Oct 1913 The DLRG (German Life-Saving Society) is founded.
- 22 Oct 1913 Explosion at Dawson NM coal mine kills 263 mine workers
- 24 Oct 1913 Joe Tinker fired as Cin Reds manager
- 26 Oct 1913 Huerta elected President of Mexico
- 27 Oct 1913 President Wilson says US will never attack another country
- 31 Oct 1913 Dedication of the Lincoln Highway, the first automobile road across United States.
- 01 Nov 1913 Notre Dame upsets Army 35-13, first to use forward pass effectively.
- 02 Nov 1913 St. Louis Browns mgr George Stovall is 1st to jump to Federal League
- 03 Nov 1913 The United States introduces an income tax.
- 06 Nov 1913 Mohandas Gandhi is arrested while leading a march of Indian miners in South Africa.
- 07 Nov 1913 11 ampndash The Great Lakes Storm of 1913 kills more than 250.
- 09 Nov 1913 The Great Lakes Storm of 1913, the most destructive natural disaster ever to hit the lakes, destroys 19 ships and kills more than 250 people.
- 13 Nov 1913 1st modern elastic brassiere patented by Mary Phelps Jacob
- 18 Nov 1913 Lincoln Deachey performs first airplane loop-the-loop (San Diego).
- 26 Nov 1913 Russian kingdom forbids Polish congregation of speakers
- 29 Nov 1913 5th CFL Grey Cup: Hamilton Tigers defeats Toronto Parkdale, 44-2
- 01 Dec 1913 Continuous moving assembly line introduced by Ford (car every 2 38).
- 02 Dec 1913 Archdiocese of Managua created.
- 08 Dec 1913 Construction starts on Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.
- 09 Dec 1913 Heavyweight Jack Johnson-Jim Johnson fight to no decision in Paris.
- 10 Dec 1913 Kamerlingh Onnes receives Nobel Prize for physics.
- 12 Dec 1913 Mona Lisa, stolen from Louvre Museum in 1911, recovered
- 13 Dec 1913 Mona Lisa stolen in August 1911 returned to Louvre
- 14 Dec 1913 Greece formally takes possession of Crete.
- 15 Dec 1913 Nicaragua becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires Convention.
- 16 Dec 1913 Charlie Chaplin begins his film career at Keystone for $150 a week.
- 19 Dec 1913 Jack Johnson fights Jim Johnson to a draw in 10 for hw boxing title.
- 21 Dec 1913 1st crossword puzzle (with 32 clues) printed in New York World
- 23 Dec 1913 President Woodrow Wilson signs Federal Reserve Act into law
- 24 Dec 1913 In the Italian Hall Disaster, seventy-three men, women, and children are trampled to death when someone falsely yells quotfirequot at a crowded Christmas party.
- 30 Dec 1913 Barnes takes 17 wickets versus South Africa (8-56 and 9-103).