Monday 2 January 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Sexy And I Know It by LMFAO.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 2012!
Which were the important events of 2 January 2012 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 02 January
- Arab Spring:
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising: The Arab League calls for a ceasefire in Syria, saying that tanks and heavy weaponry have been withdrawn from Syrian cities, but warning that snipers remain a threat. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011–2012 Yemeni uprising: Yemeni army defectors accuse outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh of seeking to sabotage a power-transfer deal brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council. (''Detroit Free Press'')
- Up to 50,000 people flee their homes in a border area of South Sudan amid ethnic violence. (Reuters)
- The Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram issues a warning to Christians in northern Nigeria to leave the region within three days. (CNN)
- Hundreds of Muslim villagers clash with riot police in the Ningxia region of northern China after a mosque is demolished by local authorities. (''Pakistan Today'')
- Firefighters in Chile battle three large wildfires, which have reportedly killed at least one person. (CTV)
- India lodges a high-level protest with the government of China over the treatment of an Indian diplomat in a courtroom. (''Times of India'')
- The President of South Korea, Lee Myung-bak, states that he is open to negotiations with North Korea on its nuclear program, but calls on the North to avoid ampquotprovocationsampquot. (AP via ''Newsday'')
- Iran states that it has successfully test-fired two long-range missiles, a Qader and a Noor, during military exercises in the Persian Gulf. (BBC)
- Iranian news agencies report that the country has produced its first nuclear fuel rod. (Bloomberg)
- Iranian officials report that the country will not shut down the Strait of Hormuz, as was previously threatened. (CNN)
- The President of Tunisia, Moncef Marzouki, states that Tunisia is prepared to extradite former Prime Minister of Libya Baghdadi Mahmudi to Tripoli to face charges of abuse of office, if the Libyan government can guarantee a fair trial. (Reuters)
- Mount Rainier National Park in the U.S. state of Washington is closed as police conduct a manhunt for a man who shot dead a park ranger on New Year's Day the gunman, Benjamin Barnes, is eventually found dead. (BBC)
- ExxonMobil wins US$908 million from an arbitration panel of the International Chamber of Commerce for the nationalization of its Venezuelan oil project in 2007. (BBC)
- Thousands of opposition supporters in Hungary protest over Prime Minister Viktor Orban's alleged attempts to undermine democracy in the country. (''New York Times'')
- The military government of Fiji announces that it is to lift martial law and other emergency regulations. (''Fiji Times'')
- President of China Hu Jintao warns of attempts to ampquotwesterniseampquot the country by ampquothostile powersampquot. (IOL)
- The Russian Federal Space Agency expects that parts of its failed Fobos-Grunt Mars probe will re-enter the Earth's atmosphere during the next week. (''The Telegraph'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?